The City of Raleigh recognizes that there are long-standing holiday celebrations in some Raleigh communities that engage neighbors in celebration and invite others from outside the neighborhood to join the festivities. These activities generate increases in vehicular and pedestrian traffic, and an increased need for parking and open, passable sidewalks.
For the 2021-22 loose leaf collection season, the City of Raleigh is offering the Holiday Special Events Leaf Collection to assist with bulk leaf removal, As bulk leaf collection resources are limited, communities must meet certain requirements to qualify for this program. The requirements are listed below, along with instructions for completing the application process.
The requirements are listed below, along with instructions for completing the application process.
- This program seeks to recognize long-established public celebrations. The event must have been in place for five years or more as of January 2021.
- The event may not be prohibitive in any way, and applicants must demonstrate evidence of the celebration’s availability to the general public.
- A clearly defined geographical area must be identified that includes a minimum of forty (40) adjacent residential dwelling units.
- The application deadline is September 7.
- A map listing the homes within the defined geographical area must be attached.
- A clear border of the geographical area must be designated on the map.
- Documentation (news story, community newsletter, etc.) that establishes the event’s history must be included with the application.
- Signatures from five event supporters.
Approved applicants will be informed directly of their scheduled pickup times.
Bulk leaf collection will begin November 8. More details coming soon!
Should you have questions related to the program, or require assistance with completing the application, please contact the City of Raleigh Transportation Right of Way Manager or the Special Operations Program Manager at 919-996-6446.
About Seasonal Loose Leaf Collection
Annual loose-leaf collection is a residential service for citizens living inside the City limits and features two rounds of vacuuming leaf piles placed between the curb and sidewalk.
Last season crews collected 2,786 loads of leaves estimated at over 12,000 tons or 61,230 cubic yards. This amount would fill an entire football field to a height of 40 feet!