Join us for the Historic John Chavis Memorial Park Dedication on Saturday, June 12 to celebrate the new community center, playground, and central plaza as well as the renovation of the former carousel house. The ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held at 10:30 a.m. and activities will follow throughout the day. The ceremony will be available for live stream here.
Check out a sneak peek of the new community center! View the Virtual 360 Tour
- The historic Allan Herschell Carousel will be open for free rides.
- There will be food trucks with food available for purchase.
- The water feature will be open for play. Please see the rules below.
- The celebration includes a day full of music, dance, art, program demonstrations and more! View the Full Program Schedule
Know Before You Go
- Limited parking will be available in the lots located at 505 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd and 720 Chavis Way. Overflow street parking is available along Chavis Way. Ligon Magnet Middle School will also be providing overflow parking located at 706 E Lenoir Street that is approximately a 9-minute walk away with no shuttle service.
- The water feature is not under continuous supervision and no lifeguard is on duty. Use at your own risk. Visitors are required to dry off after using the water feature before entering the community center and are also required to be in dry clothing before riding the carousel.
- See the Raleigh Parks visitation Know Before You Go.
- This event is rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, all activities will be held in the community center.