Requirements for Day Care Home Approvals or Permits Issued Submittal Requirements Expected Processing Time Fees Next Steps
"Day care, home" is an in-home facility providing care, protection, and supervision of children or adults on a regular basis away from their primary residence. "Day care, home" is a limited use on residential properties zoned R-1, R-2, R-4, R-6, and R-10 (Unified Development Ordinance Section 6.4.1.).
Requirements for Day Care Home
A home day care must have a Zoning Permit approval from the City of Raleigh prior to starting operation (Unified Development Ordinance Chapter 6)
- The day care must be carried on by a resident of the structure as either a sole proprietorship or a corporation that is wholly owned by residents of the structure, or a partnership where all partners are residents of the structure.
- The use of any accessory building or accessory structure for a day care is not allowed.
- Any outdoor play equipment stored throughout the day and night shall not be permitted in the front yard area nor shall it be situated closer than 15 feet from any adjoining lot containing a dwelling.
- No person, other than members of the family residing on the premises, shall be engaged or employed. This shall not apply to a substitute non-resident person providing care on the premises while the owner/operator is sick or otherwise unable to provide care.
- No more than eight persons shall be cared for at any given time.
- Must comply with all state and local standards.
|Required for Submittal|
|Required for Some Projects||
- Zoning permits are a minimum fee permit. Please see the Development Fee Schedule.
- The permit fee is paid at the end of the process when the permit is picked up.
After approval from Development Services, an Inspection / Fire Watch Request is required from the Office of the Fire Marshall.