Overview Parks and Recreation Newsletter
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources provides support to participants with disabilities and/or medical conditions who request a program modification. Participants who indicate a disability and/or medical condition and request accommodation will be contacted by Inclusion Services. Those who share disability and/or medical information and do not request accommodation will not be contacted by Inclusion Services.
Individual support plans are designed based upon the participant’s specific condition and the program(s) they register for. Additional forms, interviews and/or communication are required. Support plans do not exempt participants from following City of Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources policies, but can provide modifications to support them in doing so. Please refer to the PRCR Participant Policies for more information.
Examples of supports/services available may include, but are not limited to:
- Adaptive/supportive materials
- Additional trained staff for the program
- Alternative print materials
- Individualized emergency plans
- Modifications to environment and activities
- Specialized training for program/site staff
Participants who require a higher level of support than available may wish to bring their own Personal Assistant to the program, at no additional cost. Additional paperwork is required of the Personal Assistant.
- To ensure your place in the program, always register for the program of choice FIRST.
- Select “yes” to an ADA accommodation at the time of registration (either online or hard-copy registration forms).
- Complete and submit the Accommodation Request Form to finalize your request. The form should be submitted electronically via email to SRIS@raleighnc.gov or in hard copy via mail to Inclusion Services, 2401 Wade Avenue, Raleigh, NC 27607.
Inclusion Services will follow up on all requests as quickly as possible. The Accommodation Request Form should be received at least two weeks prior to the start date of the program, so we can ensure appropriate supports are available. Additional forms will be required to for our assessment process based upon the request and may require a physician’s signature.
For more information, contact Inclusion Services at 919-996-2147 or at SRIS@raleighnc.gov.
Required Forms for all Requests
- Accommodation Request Form
- Inclusion Services Acknowledgement
- Personal Assistant Form (only if appropriate)
Required Forms for non-medical support requests
Required Forms for medical support requests
While every effort is made to meet the requests, there are situations in which programs may be determined as not the best fit for an individual’s needs. In these situations, we will work with the participant/family/staff to recommend other program opportunities.
For more information contact Specialized Recreation and Inclusion Services at 919-996-2147.